Friday, September 18, 2009

Give yourself away

"For those who wish to climb the mountain of spiritual awareness, the path is selfless work. For those who have attained the summit of union with the Lord, the path is stillness and peace." -- Bhagavad Gita

I reconnected with an old friend today. We talked about what it means to be a selfless human being, what it means to be truly alive. I am a very agitated, unsettled person; very few things bring me a sense of lasting joy and peace. I'm happy when I get to visit my parents, or when I lie under the stars, or when I walk around in the pouring rain, or when I sit silently in nature. But beyond that, most of the elation I experience is profoundly shallow.

I know a guy who volunteers three times a week at a homeless shelter. He is one of the most joyful people I have ever known. This is not a coincidence.

No comments: